Hey everyone, this is the first of daily posts this month. I’m posting a recipe every single day in May. Yes, recipe a day May. Today I’m starting with a really simple overnight breakfast recipe, bakewell tart overnight oats.
I’ve been thinking about the food we eat and watching a few too many ‘what I eat in a day’ videos and it got me thinking about how repetitive we are with our diets. A lot of people eat the same thing pretty much all the time, and that’s fine if you’re happy with that. But, I decided I wanted to mix things up a little bit. I’m not just posting a recipe every day, it’s going to be something I’ve never eaten before. Nothing too crazy, I might just prep things in a different way or try a new flavour combination. I’m not rushing around trying to find the most exotic ingredients I’ve never tried.
How is this going to work?
Obviously 31 recipes in 31 days is a lot of effort. And to make things slightly easier on myself, I’m not going to be creating every single recipe myself. Most of them will be mine, but every few days I’ll be making something I’ve never tried before from a recipe I’ve seen elsewhere.
On those days I’ll let you know where I found it and give you a little summary of whether I’d recommend it. Now, usually when I make someone else’s recipe, I end up changing it a bit anyway. I can’t help myself. If this happens, I’ll direct you to the original recipe in the intro and list how I made it in the post. And as this is a challenge to myself to try new things as well, if I fail, I’ll have to post it. No do-overs or changing it up. There’s no time for that if I’m posting daily. Sound good? Great, let’s start with today’s recipe.
BAKEWELL TART OVERNIGHT OATS
We all know I love overnight recipes and almonds so I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this sooner but this recipe is creamy, with a subtle taste of almonds and the lovely sweetness of cherries.
Cherry Chia Jam:
- A cup of frozen cherries
- 2tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup oats (GF if necessary)
- 100g Alpro plain with almond yoghurt
- ¾ cup sweetened almond milk
- 1tbsp ground almonds
- 30g dried cherries
- 1tsp almond extract (optional)
- Flaked and chopped almonds to taste
- To start, we need to make the jam. Place frozen cherries in a small saucepan on a low heat with a dash of water. Allow cherries to defrost and cook until they’re soft enough to break apart with a fork.
- Next you can either leave the cherries in the pan longer so they break down, or you can put them in a blender to make the jam completely smooth. Once you’ve blended or cooked cherries, stir in the chia seeds and leave to one side to cool and thicken slightly. At least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all of oat ingredients in a jar or bowl and stir until fully combined. Then set that mixture to one side as well. I didn’t include any additional sweetener in mine, but if you wish to have extra syrups or sugar, stir those in now as well.
- When both dishes have thickened and the jam has cooled, layer them up. Spread a thick layer of jam over the bottom of your container then top with the oat mixture.
- Sprinkle with flaked and chopped almonds before serving.
Is this something you think you’d enjoy? What are your favourite flavours to add to oats?