Hey everyone and welcome back to recipe a day May! Today I’m making another really simple recipe, it’s a roasted red pepper and walnut pasta sauce. Now I know a solid 99% of the population loves pasta (that statistic may not be accurate), it’s a really quick meal to throw together. But, a lot of store bought sauces contain added oils, salt and sugar that aren’t necessary, so I’m making a healthier version with minimal effort and ingredients.
This sauce has a creaminess you’d expect from a pesto without the added oils. The roasted walnuts provide you with essential omegas 3 and 6 while helping to give it that creamy texture. There’s no fuss with this recipe at all, it’s as simple as throwing everything on a baking tray, blending and serving and takes less than 30 minutes.
- 3 large red peppers
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 1 large red chilli
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 220°c.
- Cut peppers in half and deseed, then place the peppers and the whole garlic cloves on a baking tray. Drizzle the olive oil over the peppers then place in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add the walnuts to the tray for a further 5 minutes. I served mine with quick cook lentil fusilli so I also started cooking my pasta at this point.
- Once cooked, remove the tray from the oven, carefully peel the garlic cloves then add all ingredients to a blender or food processor.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- When pasta is cooked, drain then add the sauce to the pan and combine on low heat for a few minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
What’s your favourite pasta dish? Let me know in the comments!