Hey everyone, welcome back to recipe a day May! Today’s recipe is my version of something I saw on Instagram a few weeks ago, chickpea nuggets. I wish I could tell you where I saw it, but I scrolled straight by without paying much attention. Ooops. I didn’t look at that recipe, but the idea was playing on my mind for a few days so I decided to attempt to make my own version, but I wanted spicy chickpea nuggets instead.
Now, I love falafel and while I was expecting this to turn out similarly, it tastes totally different. I wasn’t too sure how they would turn out but I’m really proud of this one and it’s definitely something I will be making again.
As I said, these are spicy chickpea nuggets, but I use hot sauce and chilli powder. If you wanted to make a milder version you could omit the chilli powder and use a mild salsa instead of hot sauce.
- One can of chickpeas
- ½ cup oats (GF if required)
- 1tsp garlic powder
- Pinch black pepper
- 60g hot sauce
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (GF if required)
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 190°c.
- Place breadcrumbs, chilli powder and rosemary on a baking tray in the centre of the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add oats to a food processor and process until a fine flour has formed. Add 3tbsp chickpea liquid, the garlic, pepper and the chickpeas, drained and rinsed. Process on high until a dough like texture is formed. You may have to scrape the sides down depending on your food processor.
- Then shape the mixture into 10 even sized nugget shapes.
- When the breadcrumb mixture is ready, tip it into a bowl.
- Dip the nuggets into the hot sauce, making sure they’re fully coated. Then roll them in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place nuggets back on the baking tray and place on the top shelf of the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.
Serve and enjoy!
Would you be interested in these free from nuggets? Do you think your kids would fall for this healthy alternative?
To catch up with my other #RecipeADayMay posts, click here.