Hi guys, today’s recipe features one of my favourite vegetables – butternut squash. I don’t know about you, but when I think of squash, I usually think about roasting it rather than turning it into something else. I recently needed something to eat in a hurry and picked up the Gosh Butternut & Basil sausages. That inspired me to get a little more creative with my squash and I ended up creating these butternut veggie burgers.
They take a while to make, but they’re easy to make in advance and the prepared mixture will keep for days in the fridge, so you could easily make them in advance. The recipe is incredibly simple to follow and full of vitamins.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, soy free and vegan.
Prep time: 35 minutes plus cooling time
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
Serves: 4 burgers
- ½ large butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- A red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2tbsp buckwheat flour
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (GF if necessary)
- 1tsp dried rosemary
- ½tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
I also added a pinch of chilli flakes because I’ve killed my taste buds and need absolutely everything I eat to be spicy. But that’s optional.
- In a large saucepan, boil the peeled butternut squash and potato until cooked but still slightly firm, approximately 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small non-stick frying pan, cook the onion, garlic, and pepper for 2 minutes on a medium heat. Then add the herbs and seasoning, stir to combine and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside until squash and potato are ready.
- Once squash and potato are cooked, mash them then stir in the cooked pepper and onion. Then stir in the buckwheat flour and breadcrumbs.
- Preheat oven to 200c
- Leave the mixture to cool (at least 30 minutes) then divide mixture into four and shape into patties.
- Place on a baking tray in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes until patties are crisp on the outside and hot in the centre.
Serve and enjoy!
Do you like the sound of this recipe? What are your favourite veggie burgers? Let me know, chilli flakes or no chilli flakes?
Until next time,