Hi guys, as I’m sure you’re well aware by now, I’m currently not eating sugar. Granola is one of my favourite breakfast foods. Either on its own, on top of a smoothie or with some yoghurt, it’s great. Most granola is either loaded with sugar (syrup makes it stick together), or oil (for the same reason). Or possibly, both.
My previous granola recipes have all opted for the sugar rather than the oil. I wanted to try and make a batch but didn’t want to add oil to my recipe. I don’t know if this idea is going to work, but I’m going to be incredibly proud of myself if it does.
Usually, I write the part of the recipe that you’re reading now while the food is cooking. I’m still excited about it, the ingredients are fresh in my brain and I can easily edit the method when it’s done. Right now, there’s some granola in my oven. Vegan, gluten free*, no added sugar, peanut butter pretzel granola, to be precise.
I got the idea to use dates to make that sticky texture. Blended with some water then heated slightly before pouring over the dry ingredients. Obviously, that’s still a high sugar ingredient, but it’s a natural fruit sugar rather than a processed syrup. It should work, in theory. If you’re reading this, you can assume it did work. Otherwise, this post wouldn’t exist. You can also assume that I’m overjoyed that I managed to make this work.
I recently saw someone talking about a chocolate pretzel cereal, which is what gave me the idea to make a peanut butter pretzel granola. Of course, this recipe is as healthy and allergy friendly as possible.
*I can’t find any pretzels that are 100% sugar free and gluten free, there are some gluten free here that only have 1g of added sugar though. The regular wheat options were all sugar free.
This recipe is vegan and dairy free. It can be gluten and soy free depending on pretzel choice. It could also be nut free if you opted for wow butter rather than peanut butter.
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oats
- ¾ cup salted pretzels
- ½ cup gluten free rice puffs (I used Kallo)
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 75g pitted dates
- 150ml water
- Preheat oven to 170°c.
- Lightly crush your pretzels so the pieces are in halves or thirds, not small crumbs.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl then stir in the peanut butter. Don’t worry if it doesn’t fully combine, the mixture will loosen with the next step.
- Blend the dates and water together then transfer the liquid to a small saucepan. On a low heat, warm the date mixture through for a few minutes until lukewarm. Stir regularly and do not allow to boil.
- Once warm, pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Spread mixture in a thin, even layer over a baking tray (you may need two). Place in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes until granola is golden brown and crunchy.
Serve and enjoy!
I’m obsessed with this recipe! Do you guys like the sound of it as much as I do? What do you think of the peanut butter and pretzel combination?
Until next time,
To view my previous breakfast recipes, click here.