Hey everyone, welcome back to #RecipeADayMay. Today’s recipe took an unexpected turn. As you know the whole point of recipe a day May is to challenge myself to try something new every day, as well as keeping you guys in the loop about what I’m eating. My recipe for today is a chilli and tamari baked aubergine Originally, I was planning on serving this with a spiced quinoa, but when it came time to prep I just wasn’t feeling it. Thankfully, the aubergine fulfilled today’s ‘something new’ quota so I threw it together with whatever I had going spare in my fridge.
This recipe is technically a stir fry of sorts, but I want to be very very clear that this is not what my stir fry dishes usually look like. A regular stir fry in my house has every vegetable under the sun and tenderstem brocolli is 100% essential. Having said that, I really liked how this one turned out. Don’t you find that some of your greatest meals happen when you start without a plan? I’ve found a few of my favourite meals that way.
This recipe requires you to marinate the aubergine for at least an hour, but ideally longer. If you wanted to throw the ingredients in a bowl on a morning before work, that would be perfect.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegan and nut free.
Prep time: 1 hour (to marinate, active prep time 5 minutes)
Cook time: 25 minutes
For the aubergine:
- 1 medium aubergine
- 4tbsp tamari (soy sauce if not GF)
- 1tsp chilli powder
For the stir fry:
- A medium carrot
- Large red onion
- 1 pepper, cololur of choice, I used yellow
- A clove of garlic
- Thumb of ginger
Also noodles of choice, I opted for this black bean spaghetti as my noodle of choice. I think I’ve mentioned this product before but I love the texture and as it’s made from black beans, they’re high in protein and fibre. They also only take about 5 minutes to cook which is a huge bonus.
- To prep your aubergine, chop it into large chunks and put in a mixing bowl. Coat with tamari and chilli powder then set aside for at least an hour. If you’re leaving it for the day, cover and refrigerate until later.
- Preheat oven to 190c and place aubergine on baking tray. Scoop aubergine out of the bowl rather than pouring as you don’t want the excess tamari in the oven.
- Place baking tray in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes, until edges are crispy.
- Finely chop all of your vegetables, garlic and ginger.
- After 15-20 minutes, heat a wok on a medium heat and add oil/ fry spray/ water (whatever you usually use) and add onion to the pan.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes then add the remaining vegetables, garlic and ginger. Cook for a further 5 minutes until all vegetables are cooked to a crunchy texture. I also started cooking my noodles at this stage.
- Remove from heat and pour over the remaining marinade from the aubergine bowl.
- Add all components to a bowl/ plate and serve.
Have you ever had aubergine prepped like this before? I’m usually not a huge fan of the spongy texture it has but I really enjoyed it cooked this way.
To catch up with my other #RecipeADayMay posts so far, click here.
This post contains affiliate links