Hey everyone and welcome back to #RecipeADayMay. I screwed up a little with my schedule this week. You were supposed to get a dinner recipe today, but you’re getting granola instead. I’m enjoying doing this challenge but one of the big downsides is that it takes a lot of planning if you want to eat out at all. It was sprung on me yesterday that I was going out for dinner tonight, so I had to come up with an impromptu breakfast recipe instead. Incomes the idea of nutty granola.
I’ve shared one granola recipe before, which was my Christmas edition with orange oil, cranberries and dark chocolate. I love making granola like that in winter, but I usually abandon it when summer comes and I’m not sure why. I love granola and it goes well with so many things. You can obviously eat it alone, with yoghurt, adds a little crunch to an overnight recipe or on top of a smoothie bowl. So versatile.
This nutty granola contains a lot of healthy fat so I didn’t see any need for added oils. It’s high fibre, loaded with healthy fats, omegas 3 and 6 and a little extra plant protein from the nuts too.
This recipe is oil free, soy free, dairy free, gluten free and vegan.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 30 minutes
- 2 ½ cups GF oats
- ½ whole raw alonds
- A third of a cup toasted flaked almonds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- A third of a cup walnuts
- ¼ cup mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- A third of a cup liquid sweetener of choice
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 160°c.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, on a low heat, mix the water, syrup and vanilla for about 2/3 minutes until the syrup and water have fully combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Spread mixture onto a baking tray so there is a thin layer; you may need more than one tray.
- Place in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes if using regular oats, GF can take up to 45 minutes. Stir granola/ shake tray lightly every 10 minutes to form the clusters (My GF took about 35 this morning).
- Once golden remove from the oven, allow to cool then store in an airtight container.
Serve and enjoy!
Are you a fan of granola? If so, what do you like to serve yours with?