Hey guys and welcome back to Recipe A Day May. As you may have realised from yesterday’s post, this challenge has finally started to take its toll in the last few days. It’s time for a confession, today’s post is a complete failure in terms of the concept behind this series. If you cast your mind back all the way to day one, I said I wanted to do this series as a challenge to myself to try a new dish every single day in May. Well, this isn’t new at all. In fact, this dish is one of the first things I ever made when I switched to a vegan diet, but it’s still a firm favourite. I actually featured this dish in a What I Eat in a Day post a while back and I got a few requests for this recipe back then. I’m sorry if you’ve been waiting 3(?) months for this, but this is my broccoli, squash and quinoa dish.
I really should have thought of a better name before posting this.
This recipe is really easy to put together, hence why I’m opting for this one now. I always make mine with the skin on my squash as I love the taste when it gets a little crispy, but that’s a personal preference. If you’d prefer you can peel it first and roast it for slightly less time.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, nut free, vegan and can very easily be soy free.
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 whole medium-large butternut squash, chopped (& peeled if you’d prefer)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Crack of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- A small red onion, chopped
- 250g tenderstem broccoli
- 1 tbsp tamari
- Fry spray/ oil/ water (whatever you normally fry with)
- 100g quinoa
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 190°c. In a large bowl mix together all of the squash ingredients, ensuring the seasoning is evenly distributed over the squash. once coated, place in a roasting dish in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, rinse your quinoa then add all quinoa ingredients to a small saucepan and cook on a low heat for approximately 15 minutes, until quinoa is fully cooked. Once cooked, set quinoa aside.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a wok on a medium to high heat then add the fry spray/ oil/ water.
- Once it’s up to temperature, add the onion to the wok, stirring often. After 5 minutes, add the broccoli and cook for a further 5-7 minutes until cooked but still crunchy. Then add the tamari.
- When the quinoa and squash are both cooked, add both to the wok and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Add your balsamic vinegar and lemon juice before serving.
Serve and enjoy!
I feel like I’ve failed ever so slightly with my challenge today, so I just want you to know that I did technically try something new today. I had a brand of yoghurt I’ve never tried before. That counts, right? Maybe not. But this dish is still hopefully something new for you lovely people. Let me know if you’d like to try this down below!
Until tomorrow (with a new recipe for sure),