Hey guys and welcome back to #RecipeADayMay. As far as the trying something new every day in May, I think this might be cheating. I’m certain I’ll have made something like this before, but I haven’t followed a recipe making it, so it could be new in terms of specific amounts of ingredients. I’m clutching at straws here, but you know what I mean. Either way, I definitely haven’t posted a recipe like this before so we’re all good there. Today I’m making an Italian bean soup. I know soup is typically more of a winter dish (it’s only 12 where I am today so that doesn’t really matter), but if you think about it, it can be summery too.
It’s full of fresh ingredients and vibrant colours and a fairly light meal, so I don’t see why it can’t be a summer friendly dish too.
This recipe only required one pot and minimal prep so it’s really easy to make and perfectly adaptable for those who don’t have much time to cook. All you need to do is chop a few vegetables, stir them for 5 minutes then leave the pot to simmer for a while. Each serving contains 4 of your 5 a day so it’s great for anyone on a push to get a few more nutrients in too.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut free, grain free and vegan.
- One medium red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped into large chunks
- A tin of tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- A tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Crack of black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions and leave to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add the carrots, garlic and herbs for another 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chilli, pepper, tomatoes and vegetable stock. Reduce to a low heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, stir every 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the drained cannellini beans for 5 more minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Do you like soups in summer or are you all about the gazpacho? I can’t get on board with the cold soup situation…
To catch up with #RecipeADayMay, click here.