Hey everyone, to some of you this recipe may sound familiar, and you’d be right. The biscuity part of these cookies is actually the same recipe as the crust for my coconut cream pie. I had a little leftover and everyone who ate the pie adored the crust, so I thought I’d attempt to make something else with it and ended up with these almond chocolate biscuits.
I’m obsessed with these cookies, especially seeing as it was a recipe made up on the spot, but they’re one of my favourites. As it’s a pie crust texture rather than a dough, it’s easier to make them in something that hold their shape well, so I made mine in a muffin tray, pressing the mixture in the bottom of the pan.
The centre is a creamy chocolate and almond butter mix. You will have some left when you make this and I strongly advise you eat it straight from the bowl.
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegan and soy free.
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes plus cooling
Serves: 6 cookies
- ¾ cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 3tbsp maple syrup/ liquid sweetener of choice
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 40g dark chocolate
- 1 heaped tbsp almond butter
- Preheat oven to 180oc
- Melt chocolate in microwave for approximately 90 seconds, check it at 20 second intervals. Stir almond butter into melted chocolate then set aside.
- Place almonds into food processor until it becomes a fine crumb.
- Add all remaining ingredients other than the rolled oats and place on high until all ingredients are combined.
- Now add the rolled oats and pulse until combined but mixture still has a bit of texture. It should be a little bit crumbly but be easily mouldable.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut 12 round biscuits. Firmly press one round into the base of a muffin/ cupcake tray. Take 1 heaped tsp of filling and smooth it over the base. Add another biscuit to the top and smooth over. Make sure the base touches the lid.
- Finally, place in oven for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden. Allow to cool before removing from the tray.
I’d love to know of you make any of my recipes. If you do use the hashtag #glowsteadyeats. To see the crust in my original coconut cream pie, click here.
Until next time,