Hi guys, this is the first if my final Vegmas posts. My vegan Christmas roast part 1. This post is only covering the sides. Originally this post was going to be the full roast, mains and sides in all their glory. But when I started to put this together I realised that would be way too long and the recipes wouldn’t be detailed enough to do them justice.
This is a smaller selection of vegetables than you’d likely have on the day, but when it comes down to steaming broccoli, that’s pretty much the same no matter which vegetables you’re going for.
I’ve made sure everything can be cooked at the same temperature, so there’s no crazy kitchen stress. Enjoy!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Roast time: 40 minutes (approx)
This is everyone’s highlight, right?? It’s definitely mine. I’m notorious for making a separate batch just for me and pretty much skipping on everything else. This recipe is super simple, no goose fat required.
- 1kg potatoes
- 4tsp plain flour (GF if necessary)
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp dried rosemary
- 1tsp dried thyme
- Preheat fan oven to 180°c. Once oven is up to temperature, drizzle the oil across a large baking tray and heat in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Peel and chop potatoes into small chunks.
- Boil potatoes for approximately 10 minutes. They should still be hard but softening slightly around the edges.
- Drain potatoes and shake the colander back and forth a few times (repeat this if necessary) to ‘fluff’ potatoes up slightly.
- Sprinkle with the flour then shake a few more times to evenly coat the potatoes.
- Place potatoes on preheated tray, carefully, the oil may spit back. Then turn a few times to evenly coat the potatoes in the oil. Sprinkle over the herbs.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then turn and roast for a further 15 minutes before turning again. Place back in the oven for a further 10 minutes until potatoes are crispy on the outside and fluffy in the centre.
Maple Roasted Parsnips and Carrots
For me, parsnips come a very close second after the potatoes. Very close, but not quite. Honey roast parsnips are very popular. Of course, vegans don’t eat honey, so we’re making maple glazed instead.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Roast time: 45 minutes parsnips, 25 minutes carrots
- 1kg parsnips chopped into thick chunks
- 500g baby carrots
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 4 tsp maple syrup
- Rosemary sprigs, leaves only, chopped
- Heat oven to 180°c. Put the oil in a large roasting tin and heat in the oven for 5 mins.
- Add the chopped parsnips, turn them in the oil and give the tin a shake so that all the parsnips are in contact with the base of the tin. Roast for 20 minutes, turn once, and then add carrots.
- Roast for a further 10 minutes then drizzle with one tsp of maple syrup.
- Tip onto a platter, drizzle with the remaining maple syrup and scatter with rosemary.
For things like broccoli, cauliflower and other vegetables, the steamer comes in. Most things take around 6 or 7 minutes, no recipe required.
My main dish is finally coming tomorrow! It’s a squash and lentil roast. I can’t believe Vegmas is nearly over! Until then, let me know if you’re all about the potatoes too or is another vegetable your favourite part?