Hey everyone, today I’m back with another burger recipe. This bean burger is one of the first meals I made when I decided to switch to a vegan diet and although it’s been tweaked a million times since then, I still come back to it. It’s full of Italian herbs, sundried tomatoes and olives and brimming with different flavours and textures.
You don’t need to be particularly gifted in the kitchen to make it and it’s really fast too. All you need to do is throw everything in a food processor. They can either be fried, which only takes ten minutes, or you can bake them which takes 20-25 minutes.
This recipe is dairy free, soy free, nut free, vegan and can easily be made gluten free.
Prep time: Less than 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 –25 minutes depending on
Serves: 3 patties
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- A flax egg (1tbsp milled flaxseed and 3tbsp water)
- 50g breadcrumbs (GF if necessary)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 50g black olives, sliced
- 75g sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp mixed Italian herb
- 1 clove garlic
- Pinch of chilli flakes (more if you prefer spicy food)
- If you’d prefer to bake them, pre-heat fan assisted oven to 190o
- Put all ingredients except the sundried tomatoes and olives into a food processor and turn on to high. Allow the mixture to combine until it’s reasonably smooth but still has a slight texture. You may need to scrape the sides down.
- Once combined transfer mixture into a large mixing bowl and then stir in the sundried tomatoes and olives. Don’t be concerned if it looks slightly dry, the oiliness of the sundried tomatoes will fix that.
- Separate the mixture into three portions and shape into patties.
- Place on a non-stick baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes in the centre of the oven. When cooked they should be warm through and firm on the outside while still soft in the centre.
- If you’re frying them, allow pan to warm up on a medium heat then add 1tsp vegetable oil. Cook patties for five minutes on each side then serve.