Hey everyone, last week I posted this photo on Instagram, the caption said it was warming up and I was enjoying overnight recipes again. Fast forward a few days and it’s now –3 again and snowing, in March, again. So, this may not be the most relevant thing I could post today, but this creamy blueberry dish is my new favourite breakfast. I say blueberry, the photo is of a blueberry one but I’ve also made it with cherries and raspberries which is equally as delicious.
This breakfast comes in three parts then they all get layered nicely in a jar. The layers consist of a vanilla and almond chia pudding, a layer of dairy free yoghurt and a fruit compote layer.
I usually make my chia pudding to the ratio of 1tbsp chia seed per 80ml milk. As I need this one to be thicker to hold the weight of the other layers I’m using 1tbsp chia seed per 50ml milk.
This recipe is dairy free, gluten free, vegan and contains no added sugars.
250g dairy free yoghurt
- 4tbsp chia seeds
- 200ml almond milk
- 1tsp ground almonds
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1tbsp flaked almonds (optional)
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries (or fruit of choice)
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl or jar, stir thoroughly then leave in fridge overnight or at least four hours
- Heat blueberries in a small saucepan on a low heat. If you’re not using frozen berries, add 3tbsp water as well.
- Leave to simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- As it starts to thicken up, mash blueberries slightly with a fork, leaving some texture.
- Set aside, leave in a bowl in fridge until cool.
- Place about a third of the chia pudding in the bottom of the jar as the base layer.
- Proceed to layer the three ingredients on top of one another until the jar is full and/or you run out of mixture.
- Add some fresh fruit or nuts to the top layer to serve.
Until next time,
To see my overnight breakfast ideas post click here.