Hey everyone and welcome back to #RecipeADayMay. I know I was complaining a little in yesterday’s post but today everything is back on track and I’m feeling really happy about this one. Today I was going to make quinoa pancakes, but I took a look at my fruit bowl and saw a very sad looking banana and decided to make banana pancakes instead. Expect the quinoa ones sometime next week… I’ve mentioned before that I don’t actually like banana, but chocolate makes everything better so I made choc chip banana pancakes instead. And I actually liked the end result. I thought I was going to have to give them to someone else, I wasn’t planning on making them to throw out. Just in case anyone was concerned about blogger food wastage, I know that’s a bit of a hot topic right now.
They only need 5 ingredients, which is great. They’re pretty much all cupboard essentials and they take literally 2 or 3 minutes to prep.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, oil free and vegan. Can be nut free depending on milk choices.
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 4-5 minutes per pancake
Serves: 6 pancakes
- 1 ripe banana
- A cup of GF oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup dairy free milk (I used almond)
- 20g dark chocolate, chopped
Now the great thing about making pancakes so healthy is that you can afford to be a little more generous with the not so healthy toppings. The more syrup the better, right?!
- Syrup to taste
- More melted chocolate….
- Nut butter
- Fresh fruit
- Add the banana, milk and oats to a blender and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the baking powder.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan on medium heat (use oil if not non-stick) and pour amount required for one pancake into pan. Drop in a few chunks of dark chocolate and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Pancake is ready to flip when chocolate is melting and the top surface of the pancake is bubbling.
- Flip pancake and cook for a further 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat until there’s no mixture remaining.
Serve and enjoy!
So simple to make and no fancy, ‘special’ ingredients required! Do you like banana pancakes? What’s your favourite pancake topping?